So, you came outside one day, and your car was nowhere to be seen. You weren’t parked illegally and didn’t have any outstanding tickets. Quite obviously, someone stole your car! You start to panic. But you shouldn’t. It doesn’t look good, but you need to get a hold of yourself and do what you need to do. Maybe you can get your car back, and maybe you can’t. However, you may be compensated enough to buy another vehicle if you’re insured. Follow these steps.
Filing a Police Report for Your Stolen Car
- Call the Police. Report the crime immediately. They will want to know the make, model, and color of your car as well as plate number, VIN, and the time and place where this happened. If your vehicle has a GPS system, this could be helpful in finding it.
- Call your Insurance Company. Once you have a copy of the police report, you can call your insurance company. They will want all the details. Make sure your policy covers theft. Comprehensive insurance most likely will.
- If Necessary, Call Your Home, or Renters Insurance Provider. If you have any valuables in the car, your car insurance will not cover them. You’ll need to file separate claims for them.
- Contact Your Lenders if Needed. If you have an auto loan or lease, your lender needs to know immediately. If documents were in your car, you’ll need to set up a temporary fraud alert with a major credit bureau. If a credit or debit card was in the vehicle, you may have to cancel it.
- Keep Calm and Carry On. Insurers typically wait about 72 hours after a theft to process an auto claim. There’s a 45% chance your car will be found before this time. Rental Reimbursement Coverage will pay your fare if you have to take public transportation. As this is not your fault, your rates won’t increase.
Commercial One Insurance Service Serving Burlingame, CA
If you are in the Burlingame, CA area and need auto insurance, please get in touch with Commercial One Insurance Service. We’re here to help.